Ortiz, Ramirez Tested Positve for PEDs in 2003

Thursday, July 30, 2009

The NY Times reports David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez's names are the latest to be leaked from the list of 103 players who tested positive in 2003 for performance-enhancing drugs, which implemented the steroid-testing policy we have today. Ramirez had already been suspended for taking a banned substance this season, but Ortiz is a new name in all this.


Am I surprised about Ortiz? No. I knew it wasn't Fenway Park and hitting behind Manny that made him better and I had my suspicions. The news of this has me with mixed feelings though. I was pissed when so many Yankee players names came out in the Mitchell Report and basically no Red Sox players. I was mad that even the players who weren't on the team when they reportedly used PEDs were still connected to the Yankees (Andy Pettitte). I was upset that the Red Sox unusually got by this report unscathed. I thought it was a conspiracy. So when I heard this news, naturally, I was happy. I am now glad I don't have to hear Red Sox fans say our championships were tainted or chant "You take steroids" to Alex Rodriguez when they can just look into the dugout at the guy who they so revere for bringing them championships.

On the other hand, it continues to make baseball look bad, and the era I grew up watching baseball as a complete joke. This is a dark day for baseball, even if you are a Yankees fan (or Red Sox hater). The list is gradually going to be leaked and it is inevitable to avoid. It's almost impossible to single out records, accomplishments, and titles associated with steroid users when the entire era is tainted. We can only hope guys like Ken Griffey Jr. and Albert Pujols are clean and we can look at them as the true heroes of the sport.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Legal Disclaimer

The owners, operators, and writers of the Michael Kay's Successors blog are in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated with the New York Yankees or the aforementioned Michael Kay. Because if they were, we'd be on World Series championship #39 by now.

Also, anything written about broadcaster/on-air personalities is all in good fun and meant to be taken as a joke.


  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP